1965 A.D. was the year when Masters of Science (M.Sc.) in physics with only Nuclear physics as specialization was introduced in Tribhuvan University in the premises of Tri Chandra College.
The department of physics was headed by Professor Phanindra Prasad Lohani, the first Nepalese M.Sc. (Physics) degree holder. The department was shifted to Tribhuvan University college at Kirtipur in a beautifully designed small block in Nepalese style. The intake capacity of students enrolment was only thirteen in the beginning. Most of the Nepalese faculty members were contributing initially as part time professors together with a few professors from India, UK and USA. During the past four and half decades some 1400 students graduated from the Central Department of Physics (CDP). In addition to the regular programme at Master s level the CDP has also awarded four Ph.D. in one or the other fields of Physics such as Atmospheric Physics, Plasma Physics and Solid State Physics.
Central Department of Physics
Kirtipur, Kathmandu, Nepal